Friday, June 8

And so begins the Europexcursion...

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm typing in the right place. This page is in Norwegian, which I've recently learned looks and sounds a bit like someone hacking up ink onto the paper. Oh there, now it's in English, thanks to Google translate.
Here I sit in a coffee shop in Norway, listening to the aforementioned phlegmy conversation around me momentarily being drowned as a huge cruise ship belches out a humongous departure fart, telling the countless sailboats swarming around it like ants to get out of its way as it powers its way out of Oslofjord. My legs are sore, my butt is raw, and my skin is covered with a scaly layer of salt left from my evaporated sweat from today's bike ride. I'm in heaven. If this is par for the course, the next few months are going to be truly incredible.
Let me back up a bit, and tell you what the plans we've made for the immediate future in the not-so-distant past are. In a nutshell, the story is that Keegan, Wade (your current narrator), and Ben (who is not yet with us, but will be in a few days) are going to bicycle from Scandinavia to Spain this summer. Wade and Keegan, who came over first, started their trip in Norway, and the trio will be complete when Ben joins them in a few days in Gothenburg, Sweden. Okay, there's no way I'm going to write this in the third person. We have left the schedule largely open other than that to account for the rampant spontaneity in all of us.
The trip only started a little more than 2 days ago, but it seems much longer. It began with a 10 hour flight to Berlin, and a ten-hour layover there. That gave us enough time to explore the city a little bit, buy European SIM cards, play hacky-sack, and sleep. Then it was a short flight over to Oslo that arrived at 11 pm, which was late enough, but then we unpacked our bikes and prepared them for some serious riding, which took until 2:30 am. We slept on the floor in the airport, but since the sun rises at 4 am this time of year, there was very little sleep to be had. However, it was enough to take us through the 60 km ride into Oslo (you read that right; the city we were supposed to be flying into is actually like 40 miles away from the airport), complete with several getting-lost episodes. We explored the city a bit before hitting the wall. Keegan took a nap while I found an internet connection and wrote this. So now you're all up to date. You deserve a cookie.
Tonight we will probably camp just outside the city and continue on tomorrow. Pictures!





11 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE your blog! I hope you post often! Mandy and I had a nice walk with your mom in Manhattan Beach after your departure. She surely loves you guys...(as do I).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small car? Large fellow? It is so difficult to decide. Thank you very much for sharing your adventures! Please do keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be great to get an email whenever you have a new post, so I'm hoping you will add an email subscription form for your posts:
    http://www.bloggertricks.com/2008/01/how-to-add-email-subscription-form-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea! an email subscription box has been added.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Ben! We wouldn't want to miss anything! LOL!

      Delete
  4. Pictures say it all! Keep 'em coming, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That sounds like some magnificently transcendent fun you got goin' on over there! I am super jealous right now! You better take lots of pics and write a lot bc your blog is super entertaining- almost as enlightening as watching a unicorn on crack. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have lots of Fun!!! I am so excited to enjoy the adventure thru your eyes!!! Kelly Griggs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, and I find this only two years later. Funny story -- you tell a good tale...

    ReplyDelete