Saturday, July 7

The French Riviera lives up to its reputation, and necessitates serious sunscreen usage.

I don't have a lot of time to write before my computer's battery and/or my 1-hour internet card run out, but I have to say something about the last 2 days. And here it is: They were AMAZING. The day after my last post I crossed the border into France, and made it to a nice place to spend the night. In fact, it was so nice, that's what they named it. So I spent the night in a badly-run but well-priced (read: cheap) hostel on top of a ridiculously steep hill in Nice. I met drunk Norwegians, a sunburned Texan, a Japanese man who demonstrated sumo on me, and an uncommunicative Russian. Then today I set off with plans to make it to Marseille, but fell short as it's more like 230 km instead of the 150 that a Frenchman at the hostel told me. Unrelatedly, he's a mega-douche. Spent the entirety of breakfast yelling at and threatening to hit one of the drunk (now-hungover) Norwegians who had supposedly drunkenly profanicized in his presence the night before. Anyway, after about 150 more km melted away into the sand, sun, and skin of southern France's amazing beaches, here I am at a campsite that is (I hope) about a half day's ride away from Marseille.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you are using lots of sunscreen. I love that area you are in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the beaches along the coast of France different than the beaches of the west coast or Hawaii? I have been to France several times but never to the south coast.-N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice was similar to Waikiki; city right up to the beach. The other, smaller beaches are mostly in little coves along the rocky shore. About half of the beaches are sandy, the rest are comprised almost entirely of perfect skipping rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have enough brain power to easily figure out which of the three of you is writing! I guess I should know which of you is where in Europe, but it's hard to keep track, so won't ya please identify yourself in your posts? :) I know now that this was you, Wade, but only because of your comment. I figured it wasn't Keegan since he's in the language school, but I can't remember where Ben is now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't see their name at the bottom if you are just reading the post from your email notification, but it is at the bottom of each post. I think their writing styles are so very different too.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, THAT's why I didn't see it...I was looking at the email notification. Because I really looked for something and didn't see it. I didn't THINK I was crazy. And yeah, their writing styles are different (but all amazing), but I wanted to be sure.

      Delete
  5. It says at the bottom of each of our posts who wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh. duh. Okay, so I'm blind!!

    ReplyDelete